On the left hand side of the road between Victoria and Ta’ Pinu is the Gozo Aqueduct. It was built under the British between 1839 and 1843 to transport water from Għar Ilma hill, in the limits of Kerċem, to the central water reservoir within the Citadel in the capital Victoria, and supply the population with fresh water. Still standing nowadays, on the spot of the first water reservoir, is an Obelisk erected to commemorate the opening of the aqueduct. Eventually the aqueduct fell into disuse as the system was replaced by a grid of pipes and electrical pumps. However a number of the arches still stand defiantly gracing the area. Following the line of arches up to Ghar Ilma hill one can enjoy a panoramic view of the Gozitan countryside.